Tuesday 5 June 2012

PJ’S ARE NOT CLOTHING!



Before you keep reading on, I should probably warn this is going to sound like a rant. Maybe because it is a rant? I don’t know. Anyways I want to ask you to ask yourself a deep meaningful question that could and will change the rest of your life. OK, so it might not change it, but that doesn’t mean it’s not quite of a head scratcher this one. How lazy must a woman be to leave the house in order to run errands around town wearing pajama bottoms? When did this become an acceptable trend? Really. I need answers here! It is not okay, honestly. Maybe to run down the street to the store around the corner to buy milk for your morning breakfast or if you’re sick and have to go to the pharmacy for meds and can’t muster the strength to put clothes on, that could be acceptable. I don’t really mean to sound judgmental here, but when I saw this young, healthy looking woman, going in to pay for her cell- phone bill wearing pajama bottoms, I can’t find excuses for going out like that.

Is it too much trouble pulling on some real pants like regular jeans? I guess it’s alright if they are yoga pants and you use them to sleep in them rather than going to yoga, but nobody has to know that, right? But to go out in pajama bottoms made out of some flimsy fabric and an unflattering shape, with circus animals printed on them only makes me wonder of how lazy women are getting.

I am a feminist and I don´t think that women should look like they just came out of a Stepford Wive’s commercial with colorful pumps and red lipstick on, or that we should always look our very best all the time, because I know it’s ridiculous, but wearing pants shouldn’t be considered like an extra effort on our part. I’d rather go out wearing a raggedy old jean than my sleeping attire. You might say “Well, maybe your pj’s must be really ugly if you don’t go out in them” (mind you, I imagine this with a very nasal annoying voice, so if that’s what you’re thinking you sound obnoxious), but that’s not even the case, because even if I’m not necessarily dressed to impress, I at least want to look like I care. Just so you know, no, I’m not in my house wearing pajamas while writing this, I’m actually at work wearing a cute Colors of Benetton gray dress and pink flats, so there.

For me, before I’ll ever consider going out like I literally just rolled out of bed or wondering if I’m about to make a fashion faux- pas (and I recommend you do this too) I always turn to two of my fashion mentors. First, I ask myself “WWAW?” which means What Would Audrey Wear? Of course, I am talking about Audrey Hepburn, since she is the epitome of what it is to be a lady, and if she wouldn’t leave the house wearing her nightie, well then I most certainly won’t do it either.  And then, just to be on the safe side, I close my eyes and picture what my reaction would be if Tim Gunn were at my house and saw what I was wearing. Would I be embarrassed or proud of myself and my look? Sometimes I will not be completely satisfied, since I wish I were rich and had a lot of clothes and stuff, but I make do with what I have, so I’m probably not all the way up there to Tim’s standards, but I know that wearing pajamas in public would be going in the exact opposite direction of what I’m striving for.

So, please, stop this insane trend of slumber inspired attire, because lowering the bar this low is one of the saddest things in fashion since knit vests, people. What if you were at the bank and there’s a robbery or something? You wouldn’t like to go on the five o’clock news having people noticing you as the woman in the pajamas, would you?

Girls, if this isn’t convincing enough, think about this for a moment: not even men go out to the bank wearing their pj’s.

Feature image via

2 comments:

  1. http://lolpie.com/images/archive/content/1/4/bitch-i-m-fabulous-3Hbbc.png

    ReplyDelete