Thursday 19 July 2012

SEX AND THE CITY: The Love Interests Top 5


A few weeks back I wrote how much I liked Sex and the City, and how I would write about the different aspects of it, according to my very own point of view, even if I’m sooo very late to jumping on this bandwagon going to the closest Barney’s (the store, not the big purple dinosaur, of course). 

Logic would state that an accurate breakdown of the show should start with an illustration of each of the leading female characters, but since everything about the show has already been written and done I don’t see much difference if I actually start with the guys without whom the sex part of the show would be boring. Although, to be fair, my personal picks are a result of how much I liked them not only as their respective sex partners, rather more in a relationship level point of view.

So, without further ado, here are my top 5 in the order I personally like them best.

No. 1: Steve Brady


A down to earth man who saw no need for drama, Steve is totally an obvious first choice, because when you think about it, he is actually the perfect man. Sweet, charismatic, funny, and most importantly he wasn’t threatened by Miranda’s success, whom he loves deeply during the show, even when they were not together. I was so happy when they ended up together, especially after seeing how Miranda finally knew his worth but couldn’t do anything about it because he was already in a relationship with someone else. Ugh, the pain! But then they got married and all was well.

Then, in SATC The Movie, and he cheated on Miranda, (I’m probably about to say what no girl should say)  she did neglect him a lot, and even though it’s not an excuse, I do believe Miranda wasn’t being completely fair to him, and she definitely had to make a few changes if she really wanted her marriage to work, not just Steve. Anyways, Steve is perfection. Plus, he owns a bar. Super bonus points for that.

No. 2: Aidan Shaw


Of all the guys Carrie has been with, my favorite has got to be Aidan. Bohemian, artistic, a craftsman, passionate, he was a sweet deal compared to any other guy who ever saw the interior of Carrie’s apartment (you reading this Mr. Big? I’ll get to you.) Aidan was better in so many levels just with the fact that he wasn’t afraid of commitment, of stating that he was in a relationship, saying ‘I love you’ and showing it. How could Carrie ruin it? TWICE? First, she cheated on him with Big (major eye rolling over here), and then she wouldn’t marry him, for no good reason at all. Literally, she gave no good reason except the fact that she was afraid, which, okay, no one wants to get stuck with someone who’s afraid of being with them, so Aidan dodged that bullet. Why she cheated on him in the first place is beyond me. Had Big dipped himself in pheromones before they met at the hotel bar when it happened? I don’t get it, I don’t like it one bit either. Aidan was everything Big was not and Carrie, the masochistic, complicated, dramamonger that she is couldn’t handle it. Her loss, I think. 

No. 3: Jerry Smith AKA Smith Jerrod


Samantha struck gold with this golden haired smoldering hunk of a man. That smile, those dimples, the eyes, the abs, everything about him oozes sex and Sammy, sweet man-eater Sammy had to get her hands on him. The best part? Once he got his hands on her, he didn’t let go. As much as she tried, she couldn’t shake him off and for that I’m grateful, because it gave us a chance to see what kind of man it takes to finally see Samantha in a long term monogamous relationship. He stood by her when she was going through chemo and never flailed while being by her side. She turned him into the Absolut Hunk, an action movie star, a Hollywood household name, and he turned her into a woman who could see the perks of going to bed with the same man over and over again and be happy about it, which seemed even more impossible than anything else throughout the whole 6 seasons. Alas, their love was doomed in the movie, but still, I think theirs, was one of the best relationships in SATC.


No. 4: Harry Goldenblatt and Aleksandr Petrovsky

Despite being complete opposites of each other, Hairy Harry and The Russian come fourth in this list. YOLO, that’s why. Haha, I’m just kidding, I just wanted to use YOLO before it would be too late for this blog. Just kidding, again. 

Anyways, let’s start with why Harry is here. Though physically he’s not really my type (not even Charlotte’s type), Harry Goldenblatt, Attorney at Law, is one of the nicest guys Charlotte ever dated. He did come a little too strong at the beginning, but all’s well that ends well, I suppose. Although, I was a little annoyed at the fact that he led her on for a while before telling her they had no future unless she were Jewish, I completely forgive him for the level of  devotion he has for Charlotte which is simply adorable. Even if he was messy and a little less than refined, he was cute, like a big teddy bear.


Aleksandr on the other hand, well I have to confess I wouldn't be able to resist a sophisticated man with an artistic sensibility, and an accent to top it off. At first, I didn’t like him that much, but after a few episodes he won me over. He was mature (okay, older) and very cultured, without being too pretentious about it. Again, another man who’s everything Big was not. Not much into the drama, and also not ambiguous nor a complete mystery. In their relationship Aleksandr was an approachable partner. Okay, so maybe he neglected Carrie when they were in Paris, but, again, I think she could’ve done a little more, maybe go to some classes to master the French language and not feel left out when they are with Alek’s friends, or maybe say “Hey! You go do your thing, I’ll do mine, we’ll meet later. I’ve got fans waiting for me.”  Also, the reason she was in Paris was because of him, his work and all, so yeah, it was kinda obvious he was gonna be real busy. I would’ve stuck it out longer, since he at least asked her to go with him all the way to the city of lights, while on the other hand, Big didn’t even mention it to her. 

No.5: John James Preston AKA Mr. Big

Hey! How’d you get on this list?

Okay, so Big isn’t exactly my favorite and since I couldn’t decide who I liked more, if Harry or Alek, a spot was still open. I get it, he is tall, has dark hair, a deep voice, a mysteriousness to him, and I guess he is sexy. I have a problem with him because he is too complicated to be with, but at the same time, so was Carrie. I mean, the chemistry between these two is undeniable, and I guess it had to take him 6 years to realize that he never stopped loving her. So he had an undying love for her, you might say, and carried a torch for her as much as she did for him. They were meant to be, simple as that, even if neither is familiar with the term. And after all, Big did have his moments and a few grand gestures that melted Carrie’s little heart, and made her feel more alive than ever. That level of passion must be reason enough to be with the one you (sometimes) unwillingly love, even if all the drama doesn't really seem to be worth it. Plus, he must've been really good in bed if she ran back to him over and over again, heartbreak afer heartbreak.

All images are screencaps from Sex and the City, 1998 and here

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you still check this or whatever, but I just wanted to say that I enjoyed this! Your personality really comes through, and it helps that I agree with everything you said, haha. You've got a real talent for this :)
    Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to stalk the rest of your posts >:) x

    ReplyDelete