Thursday 3 May 2012

A NEW AND BRIGHTER DAY


Disappointment. Rejection. Frustration. Failure.

Feelings that are all too familiar at one point or another in most everyone’s life. They could be caused by a break- up, getting fired, not obtaining that promotion, messing up with a loved one, and many, many things that can happen in a lifetime.

When faced with these emotions, for whatever reason that may be, how do you react? Do you stop and objectively analyze the cause? Do you get irrational, mad and annoyed? Do you simply shrug it off? Do you take it out on someone else, maybe? Or perhaps you do talk it over with a friend or relative, or shrink even? Or you might also lock it up inside and mellow on it from time to time, and probably letting it all out in an irate state of mind and bringing it up when it stopped being consequential?

I for one, indulge in feeling miserable. There. I said it. I do this by trying to understand what led the result of me being bummed out in the first place. What motivated me or maybe someone else to do what I/ they did, I examine every detail, justify my actions, imply faults on others, but also through the eyes of people who know me and will tell me the truth if I´m being delusional if that’s the case. And other times I prefer to do it alone, and not talk to anyone, not think about it, but still savoring the bitter numbness of what might have occurred. Either way I sulk. I allow myself to get immersed in a sea of sourness. Just until the day concludes.

If I want to, if that’s what I need, I can deal with it whatever over- dramatic way I wish to do so, but acknowledging that the next day I must have a different attitude. Objective, sensible me overrides the drama- queen and leads the way to a better appreciation of what really is important. I go to bed with the understanding that the next morning proves the world didn’t end so my life doesn’t either, and moving forward is much easier this way. I once read or heard that ‘everything looks better when shone in the light of a brand new day’. I believe in this motto and go by it as much as I can.

Perhaps, some would think that I waste a whole day feeling down in the dumps, but I figured it is better to vent out than dealing with it later because I stored it somewhere in a corner of my head. When I clear my mind of all the trivial things, and let it all out, the next day, more often than not, I realize it isn’t that big of a deal. This makes it easier to tackle.

I’m not going to say that this has been the way I’ve done it my whole life. The truth is, it took a lot for me to get here and recognize there are safer, healthier methods to deal with the inner demons that munch on my soul, rather than ranting, hating just about everybody who looked my way, and having everyone get a piece of me. For some reason, what I do now to deal with my issues is just what I needed to find a balance and feel better with myself, because most of the time, the solutions I discover on the brighter light of a new day are all things I figure I can translate into improving myself and grow as a better human being. Yes, it’s either all that or I fancy myself like Scarlett O’Hara, and I say out loud into the nothingness “After all, tomorrow is another day”.



No comments:

Post a Comment