Thursday 14 June 2012

SO POLITIC



I plead guilty of going too far when giving my opinion about certain candidates to the presidential chair. Yes, I do rant, and a lot of the time I get carried away by my views and sometimes in my rush to get them across I might be a bit rude. OK more than just a bit. And that’s what I wanted to write about today, because everyone’s entitled to their own opinions and I, as everybody else, should respect that.

Just yesterday I got into a discussion (via Facebook on a friend’s publication) with some stranger who clearly had some issues with my friend’s post and most of us who agreed with him. I ranted, I let myself go on this one and very similar to a rodeo bull I was quite eager to put this clown down to the ground. I’m not saying it’s okay, I’m just describing what it felt like at the moment. Neither of us was about to give in and it got messy. As soon as I realized this I apologized to him, and told him that even if we can’t seem to agree I’m at least sure that what we both wish for is a better future for our country. He agreed on that and then suggested we further exchanged our points of views and then I got a friend request from him on Facebook.

Honestly, I will not accept his request, because I know he will try to convince me that his candidate is the best when I couldn’t disagree more. It would be like setting myself up for endless and more importantly, pointless confrontation and more ranting. I know, I know, discussion is a great way to get one’s point across as well as broadening it, but this guy and I will just be bumping heads and I’m pretty sure nothing good will come from it. Also, when I considered friending him I got the same feeling I get when Jehova’s Witnesses come knocking at my door.

I stand firm in my belief that information is crucial for this year’s election and everyone should use that as an instrument when going to the voting polls, and question, always question, the contenders. Full trust in a single candidate is a mistake, as far as this elections go. Also, it couldn’t hurt to even have reservations regarding independent movements (both that are going on right now) as every day it becomes more and more unclear what hands are really rocking those cradles.

I promise that from now on I will not fall into political arguments that lead nowhere and create a bigger gap between us as citizens of this country. OK, I promise I will try harder not to. I’ll try. Maybe I will accept that dude’s friend request, but only after elections, no matter who wins, because our future isn’t just about that particular day but what happens next, months and years after the next president gets elected and to see what he/ she has accomplished or not. And that’s a discussion I’m looking forward to.  


Feature image via

No comments:

Post a Comment